Tuesday, January 7, 2014

RSV to Start the New Year

We have had a sick week at our house! Last Saturday night, Kason started a pretty good cough and congestion. We didn't think much of it until it continued consistently to Friday.  He has slowed down his eating quite a bit and his demeanor had obviously changed.  On Friday morning, Kolt and I decided to take him into the doctor.  I had started the same symptoms on Monday evening, so I figured we could both be treated.  After listening to his lungs for just a few seconds, Dr. Southwick said it sounded like RSV.  My lungs also sounded the same.  I did a strep test that came back negative which surprised the doctor.  They also took some blood work and found that my levels were consistent with a virus, which confirmed Dr. Southwick's feeling that Kason had RSV.  They gave Kason albuterol through a nebulizer to help clear out his lungs which increased his oxygen levels and then sent us to the hospital to get an RSV test and a chest x-ray.  The tests confirmed that Kason had RSV and the check x-ray showed signs of RSV in his lungs. Since he is already 6 months old, he is past the really scary RSV age which is a blessing, but we are anxious to get him feeling better.  We have continued the breathing treatments twice a day, but suspect that they are making him sick.  He hasn't been able to keep down much of anything since we left the doctors and continued the treatments.  The doctor said to continue the treatments, so we will just keep being really careful and work on keeping him hydrated.  Kason is really pretty good with the breathing treatment.  He doesn't mind it the first 5 minutes, but the next 10 he is pretty hard to entertain.  Kolt and I take turns, one holding Kason and the nebulizer and the other putting on a show in front of him to distract him! We feel pretty blessed to have a happy baby who doesn't seem very sick most of the time. We never sleep because he is up most of the night coughing or too congested, but that seems pretty minor to us.  We are grateful that we are able to treat him at home and hope to get him back to his usual self soon! Oh, and Kason hit his 6-month milestone this week! It is hard to believe he is already 6 months old!




This week I spent most of my week working, making scrapbooks of our 2012 and 2013 years (I'm a little behind!), and trying to get feeling better.  On Monday evening, Kolt went out to Saydie's 5th birthday party and I went to Bonneville to play volleyball with Kara Bounds, Haylie Keck, Makayla Wilde, Kylee Belnap, and Natalie.  It was great to play again and get ready for my Monday night volleyball league, but also to visit and see Makayla again! I sure miss her lots! I also spent some time talking to Kylee about PA school; Kolt is excited to talk to her and get some help in his application process that he needs to start in the next few months.  On Tuesday, I played the piano at the Museum of Idaho Annual Christmas Display.  I played the piano for an hour while people walked around and looked at the exhibits.  I really enjoy playing Christmas music there every year because it is sometimes the only chance I have to play it all year.  After my hour, I accompanied Sister Bratt & her sisters for the next hour.  I really enjoy the piano and any chance I have to play.  It is a type of therapy for me.  


Kolt spent most of his time watching Kason and trying to ride his horses. It has been nice leaving Kason with Kolt while I go into work.  I seem to work a whole lot more efficiently when he is at home! Kolt rode his new mare for the first time this week.  She isn't quite as mellow as his gelding, but she did well.  I think Kolt riding his horses is a type of therapy for Kolt too! On Friday morning, Kolt babysat Paisley while Shauna had an appointment.  She slept the entire time! She's sure a good girl.  Kolt had a pretty slow week, and I think he is excited to resume school next week.



We had a sick New Year's Eve also and fell asleep at 9:30.  We had planned to go out to Tasha's usual New Year's Eve Party, but didn't feel well enough to go.  We also had a big Saturday planned, but had to reschedule it due to all our sickness! We ended up staying home and trying to recover.  Kolt went to the Bonneville boys game.  They beat Madison in overtime.  It was a good game from what I hear, and Kolt had a good time visiting with Jason Cooper during the game.


On Sunday, I stayed home with Kason and got a sub for the organ.  Kolt taught our new Sunday school class.  He came home very excited about the new kids.  They seem excited to learn.  He introduced the Come Follow Me theme, and the kids seemed to really engage in the lesson.  I am excited to meet the kids next week!  They also announced in Sacrament Meeting that we will be having a Stake Conference in 2 weeks with the Lincoln Stake.  They will be dividing these 2 stakes into 3 stakes.  They also announced that we will be part of the new Iona South Stake.  It seems weird to think we can move stakes without moving houses! It is sure an exciting time though to see the church grow!




I am also sad to say that officially failed the 40-Day Book of Mormon Challenge.  We unfortunately let a few too many things get in the way of some big reading times.  Kolt and I have talked about this a couple of times, and we have decided that while we didn't complete the reading in 40 days, we may have gained something even greater.  We have been reading the scriptures better than we ever have.  There is definitely an increase of the Spirit in our home and in our family.  We feel that we have great moments of personal revelation and that we are a happier family when we read.  We have been reading from the Book of Mormon daily, since we began the Book of Mormon challenge, which may be just exactly what we needed to gain from this challenge.  I am grateful for the gospel and the peace and comfort it gives us.  I'm so grateful for the new year and the chance we have to recommit to our values and goals.  I have spent some time reflecting on our past year.  I have concluded that Kolt and I have had a BIG 18-months.  In August 2012, Kolt came home from his mission, and we got engaged.  In September 2012, we got married in the temple for time and all eternity.  And in July 2013, we had our first baby.  We have sure been blessed this past 18 months and can't wait for the adventures of the new year!


No comments:

Post a Comment