Kason had his 6-month wellness check on Monday! He is 21 pounds 3 ounces (95%) and 29 ¼ inches long (99%). His head is also in the 96th percentile! We still have a big boy! He hasn’t gained any weight in the last couple weeks, but he is feeling better, so he should start eating better! He has been eating lots of meats and vegetables this week! He also liked little pieces of bread and tortillas. It is fun to see him eat new foods, although he is a little pickier than we expected! He takes a little while to get used to new foods, but we now have expanded our menu to beans, squash, sweet potatoes, turkey, chicken, and ham. He got his 6 month shots on Wednesday and actually did great compared to what I expected! We also had Brandi Simmons take Kason’s 6-month pictures! I can’t wait to get them back! He was such a stinker and didn’t want to smile, but I’m hoping they still look alright! He is much more active now. He is really good at getting from the sitting position to his hands/knees. He is getting back to his happy personality although the past 3 weeks of coddling hasn’t helped! He seems to always want to be held! He had an awful week of sleeping except for last night finally! We let him cry for only 15 minutes, and he slept from 10 until 6. We are hoping that continues as we all woke up much happier today! He also loves spending time with his cousins and watching the older ones run around. He is entertained for a long time when they are around. Kamrie is great about entertaining Kason; she will bring every toy to Kason and hold it in front of him while telling him about it. He loves Kamrie!
This week we finished watching the 6-year old boy from our
ward. We watched him while his mom was
out of town. His dad dropped him off at
6:00 AM, and then we took him to school at 8.
Kolt was great to get up with him, as he is quite energetic in the
morning! I took him to school when Kolt has class this week. Kolt is excited for the day when Kason is old
enough to be a fun playmate!
We had our first week
of school this week. Kolt enjoyed his
classes, and I worked on my online classes.
I think we are both struggling to get motivated, but we will get there!
I got the 1099s sent out this week at work.
My schedule works nicely where I still go in 3 days a week and Kolt is
home to watch him Mondays and Fridays while I work, so I only have to take
Kason with me on Wednesdays.
We also got to watch Brand’s first basketball games this
week. He had a team scrimmage on Monday and
then played Sandcreek on Thursday. He
did great in both games! He has really improved on his ball handling and does
well inside. It will be fun to see him
grow as a player through the season.
Kolt and I both enjoy going to Rocky Mountain Middle School and reliving
some of our memories in the school and on the court. It is neat to be back in that gym!
On Monday evening I
played in my volleyball league in Rexburg again. We had 2 players missing, so my mom came with
us to play. We won both games in 3 even
with only 5 players! It was pretty fun, and I enjoy playing and not being
pregnant. It helps my vertical! Kolt
came to watch this week, and Kason slept the entire 2 hours, which didn’t help
his ability to sleep through the night!
On Thursday evening after Brand’s game, Kason and I went
with Kolt to Pocatello to his lab class once a week. The class was only 30 minutes, and then we
drove down to Arimo to look at a saddle.
Kolt has been wanting his own saddle for a long time, so when we found a
good deal, we got it. The guy who sold
it to us was a nice guy who knew Grandpa Monte Piquet. It is fun to have connections. Kolt loves his
saddle! He is looking forward to having one of his own.
On Saturday, we watched Evan play basketball at 11:30. We also took a couple of quizzes for class,
rode horses, and cleaned house. I am
enjoying my Saturdays before club volleyball begins. On Saturday night we went
to Stake Adult Session of Stake Conference.
Grandpa & Grandma Piquet watched Kason and took him to Rope’s
game. He did really well, but didn’t
seem to like the noise when it went into double OT.
Kolt and I haven’t
been to many Adult Sessions before we were married, but have been to a few
since we got married. We have both
discussed how much we love the Adult session.
It may be due to the fact that we don’t have to fight Kason during the
meeting, but it also seems to have great messages. I wanted to share some of
the things I learned during the meeting and during the general session today
because I felt very inspired by the messages.
We were instructed to love your spouse, neighbors and others simply
because of who we are. We learned 6
different blessings from doing missionary work, one of which is that families
can be blessed with peace from heaven as we do.
The speaker emphasized that the things of less importance disappear when
we do missionary work. That really
touched me because in a world where there is so many things to do and a mother
tries to decide what her family should spend her time doing, we can know that
as we do the things that matter most, missionary work, family history,
scriptures and prayers, the things of less importance will disappear.
We learned that there is no sure way to defend yourself
against the adversary than to immerse yourself in searching out your
ancestors. We also learned that those
not of our faith need an invitation to be a part of our wards. My favorite part of the conference was when
we learned about 3 important teaching moments in our homes. First, the refrigerator door can provide
teaching moments for our children. We
learned that mothers can post powerful quotes and pictures on the door of the
fridge in which we can know that our children, specifically teenage boys who
visit the fridge often, will see many times a day. He talked about a family who had this quote
pinned to their fridge, “Average people talk about people. Great people talk about ideas.” He testified that
this family lived the quote they put on their fridge. The second teaching moment in our home is the
dinner table. He talked about the
importance of teaching at the dinner table where parents have the full attention
of their children. He talked about how fast food and being in a hurry is very
contradictory to the idea of families sharing meals together and edifying each
other. The last place he discussed was
the walls of our homes. Elder Schwitzer
of the Seventy spoke about how the walls of our home can be teaching
moments. He talked about a boy who
wanted to live on the sea, and his mother realized that she had pictures of
ships in her home. She immediately took
them down and replaced them with other pictures. I felt strongly that I want to have a picture
of the temple in every room in my house, including Kason’s room. He challenged each of us to do a spiritual audit
of our home and raise the bar. I am
anxious to do that this week and “make home base strong” for my children.
I love the gospel. I know that families can be together through
the temple, and I’m so grateful for that knowledge. I know we are blessed as we follow even the little
commandments. I took on the challenge extended from Bishop Bodily to avoid
social media this week and increase spiritual moments with our families for 1
week. Although I don’t think that social
media is a bad thing, I have felt for a while that I needed to do this as a way
to focus on the things that really matter.
I have felt many blessings this week as the peace in my home has
increased and relationships have grown stronger. Most importantly, I have found
that I am more receptive to the Spirit as I am more attentive to those in my
presence. I feel like I have been more
attentive in Kason’s life and been able to spend more quality time with my
family. I read somewhere that spiritual
moments should be lived in, not posted about.
I feel like I have been blessed as I strived to do that most this
week. Although I will probably go back
to social media in the near future, I know I have been made stronger because of
this experience, and I now know the blessings of enjoying the moment with those
I love.



No comments:
Post a Comment