Sunday, December 21, 2014

Kolay's 1st Week & Kason's Sickness

We have had an exciting week! Kolay Piquet was born on 12-13-14 at 2:30 PM. She weighed 7 lbs 9 oz and measured 20 inches long.  At Susan’s 37-week doctor’s appointment, she was dilated to a 4 and the baby’s head was low. Our doctor offered to strip Susan’s membranes because everything looked good.  Early Saturday morning she started having contractions 15 minutes apart. I unfortunately had a cross country ski trip planned for one of my classes and about seven minutes after I had left for the trip Susan called me and told me that she thought the contractions were legitimate. I was going to take my little brother Rope on the skiing trip, but with the ski trip canceled I decided I would pick him up and take him back to shoot hoops instead of going on the ski trip. We went back to the house and played ball at the church while Susan walked laps around the gym until the contractions were 3 minutes apart.

We left Rope with Kason at our house and headed to the hospital. At the hospital they quickly admitted us at around 8:50 am and gave Susan an epidural. At around 1:00 pm the nurse checked Susan and she was dilated to a 9! I then predicted that we’d have a baby before 2:30 pm. Later at around 2:00 the Dr. Allphin came in and broke Susan’s water and checked her again and she was dilated to a 10. The doctor said that with a couple more contractions the baby would come down a little more and that he’d be back in 20 minutes. Just like the doctor said twenty minutes later Susan was pushing and the baby was in sight! The doctor then asked me if I wanted to deliver the baby. I was a little hesitant, but then Dr. Allphin gave me medical school in a minute and I was ready. As I was pulling the baby out, I can remember Allphin’s firm words “Just don’t drop her”. Luckily I took heed to his words even though Kolay was quite slippery and laid her up on Susan’s chest. We then had around 10 minutes to just sit and look at Kolay which was pretty awesome.


The next couple days went great in the hospital. Kolay passed all of her examinations with flying colors, and on Monday around 2:00 pm we were ready to take her home. Shauna had taken Kason for the day, and once we were home she brought him back to us. Kason unfortunately had come down with a fever over the weekend, and we had to try to keep him away from his new baby sister for the next couple of days. Also while we were in the hospital, Rebecca came down with pneumonia which added to our worries of keeping Kolay healthy.




Unfortunately for me, I still had to worry about finals. The time in the hospital to some might have seemed like great time to study for my finals, but somehow having a new baby daughter kept me more than occupied. I had finals on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. So I spent a large amount of time on Monday studying for Tuesday and after the final on Tuesday studying for Wednesday and so on. Luckily I had done a good job of studying throughout the semester and with a little luck I was able to get the ever elusive “A” on all of them.


During this same stretch of time, Kason’s condition continued to worsen. At first we thought it may just be teeth because Kason was drooling excessively, but he soon developed a little cough and sinus congestion. Susan had quite the battle trying to keep Kason away from Kolay. We were very grateful to have Kristi come up on Tuesday to help Susan with Kason and Kolay as well as cook some meals. We also enjoyed visits from my parents a couple of nights.  Susan was also supposed to accompany the RMMS Choir for their final performance on Tuesday, and she was grateful they found a substitute.  She has really enjoyed playing this semester and will miss having music to practice.  Kason continued to be sick on Tuesday, and it seemed like he was practically drinking from the Tylenol and Motrin bottles to keep his fever in check. On Wednesday after my final I took him in to Family First to get a professional opinion. After a quick examination by Shelley (the new PA at Family First), she found that Kason had multiple sores in his mouth and diagnosed with the hand foot mouth virus. Shelley told us that the hand foot mouth virus takes about 7 to 10 days to run its course and that there was really no medication that would help us. We figured that Kason had probably been battling the virus for a number of days and took hope in the fact that maybe we were almost over it. Kason was very miserable for the next couple of days hardly sleeping during the nights of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Saturday Kason’s condition began to improve and today he has been back to his mischievous self, finding plenty of ways to get into trouble (which somehow I was actually happy for the old self).


On Friday, we received some very exciting news. A large packet from ISU’s PA program arrived for me. I was very surprised because after missing the early offer cut off line by 0.05 points they informed me that I wouldn’t be hearing anything until March. I opened up the packet with little enthusiasm and lo and behold it was a formal offer for a seat at the Pocatello campus. We are ecstatic for the good news, but are going to wait a few days to make our decision.


On Saturday my old mission companion, Christopher Ransom, was sealed in the Logan Temple. Lance decided to drive down with me and take the time to see his mother. Kason spent the day with my parents, going to Brand’s basketball game and other activities.  Susan spent the day with Kolay and her mom, taking Kolay’s newborn pictures.  She is learning lots about her camera.  The sealing was beautiful and Chris and Melanie looked very happy. After the sealing, I went to the dinner for the couple and was quite entertained as the siblings of the newlyweds took turns roasting and giving advice to each of the newlyweds. On the way home we facetimed with Susan and she held the camera up to the TV so we could watch the BYU vs Penn St national championship match. We were pretty bummed that BYU lost, but it was a great season.



Today, we decided that Kolay was probably still a little too young to take to church so we stayed home. I did go during Sunday School and teach my class. We spent the rest of today taking some family pictures and working on family crafts. I also took advantage of the down time to start some holiday reading. I am taking an organic evolution class this upcoming semester so I bought a book called Mormonism and Evolution that contains all of the official statements from the First Presidency. It has been interesting reading and hopefully during the upcoming semester will come in handy if the church’s position is ever questioned.


Overall this week has been a busy one, but an amazing one. Kolay has just been a little angel which has been much appreciated by her parents with Kason being so sick. We feel such a great amount of love for Kolay and Kason and are so happy to see our little family grow.


Although this week is definitely the highlight of the letter, I wanted to mention a couple of things from the previous week as we didn’t get a family letter written last week.  I had my last week of official class for the semester.  Susan spent the week accompanying the choir, working at the Post Register, getting things ready for the time she would be home with the baby, and attending Brand’s basketball games.  Tuesday he played West Jefferson.  It was neat to see him guard Susan’s cousin’s son Clay Roundy. We also went down to Blackfoot on Thursday and watched an intense game.  Afterwards, we enjoyed dinner with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment